Stop the War on Free Speech on Campus
Tell your members of Congress to tell the Dept. of Education to restore free speech on campus and remove its unlawful Sexual Assault Directive. Call the Capitol Switchboard at 800-965-4701.
In 2011 SAVE launched a campaign for the Department of Education (DED) to rescind its unlawful Sexual Assault Directive. Then in May of 2013, the situation actually got worse when the DED teamed up with the Dept. of Justice (DOJ) to issue a new POLICY that went much further:
- Classified speech as a form of sexual harassment
- Ignored prior Supreme Court rulings that define sex harassment
- Removed the “reasonable person” standard, and substituted the subjective “you-hurt-my-feelings” standard
This triggered an outcry from all points on the political spectrum:
- The American Association of University Professors and 12 other organizations have called for the policy’s removal.
- To date, over 200 editorials have been written opposing the original 2011 mandate or the May 2013 expansion.
Then Sen. John McCain of Arizona sent a LETTER to the Dept. of Justice, demanding an explanation for its high-handed behavior.
We must use this opportunity to pressure the DED to repeal its original Sexual Assault Directive, and respect constitutional guarantees of due process and free speech!
For more details, visit Accusing U.
Sign the Petition.