Stop Abusive and Violent Environments commissioned a national telephone survey of registered voters. Conducted by Political Research of Centreville, VA, the survey utilized a computer-activated telephone technology with a pre-recorded voice.
Calls were placed to 25,000 landline telephones during the period June 28 – July 11.
The sampling frame draws from voter registration records in 48 states and the District of Columbia. Voter-registration records are a low-cost means to identify a broad community sample that avoids the biases of other recruitment methods. Non-response biases may affect the generalizability of the findings.
Of all respondents, 76% answered “Yes” to Question 1, “Are you registered to vote?” Respondents who answered “No” to Question 1 were not included in the data analysis. Data were analyzed using the JMP version 4.0 statistical package.
Following is the survey script, with response options in parenthesis:
THIS IS POLITICAL RESEARCH CALLING WITH A SHORT SURVEY.
1. ARE YOU REGISTERED TO VOTE? (YES, NO)
THIS SURVEY DEALS WITH DOMESTIC VIOLENCE AND THE LAWS THAT ARE DESIGNED TO STOP DOMESTIC VIOLENCE.
2. HAVE YOU, OR ANYONE YOU KNOW, BEEN A VICTIM OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE? (YES, NO)
3. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF THE FEDERAL VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT, ALSO KNOWN AS VAWA? (YES, NO)
4. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF ANY CASES OF WASTE OR FRAUD INVOLVING DOMESTIC VIOLENCE PROGRAMS? (YES, NO)
5. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF ANY CASES OF DISCRIMINATION AGAINST SOME TYPES OF ABUSE VICTIMS? (YES, NO)
6. HAVE YOU EVER HEARD OF ANY CASES OF FALSE ALLEGATIONS OF DOMESTIC VIOLENCE? (YES, NO)
RECENTLY, THE US SENATE AND HOUSE PASSED BILLS TO CHANGE THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT. THE BILLS ADDRESS FALSE ALLEGATIONS, DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES, AND WASTE OR FRAUD.
7. DO YOU AGREE WITH THE RECENT REFORMS TO THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT TO STOP WASTE OR FRAUD? (YES, NO)
8. DO YOU AGREE WITH THE RECENT REFORMS TO THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT TO STOP DISCRIMINATORY PRACTICES? (YES, NO)
9. DO YOU AGREE WITH THE RECENT REFORMS TO THE VIOLENCE AGAINST WOMEN ACT TO STOP FALSE ALLEGATIONS? (YES, NO)
10. IF YOU HAD TO LABEL YOUR POLITICAL AFFILIATION AS REPUBLICAN, DEMOCRAT, OR INDEPENDENT, WOULD SAY YOU ARE A REPUBLICAN? (YES, NO. If YES, skip to Q12.)
11. WOULD YOU SAY YOU ARE A DEMOCRAT? (YES, NO. If NO, count as Independent.)
12. ARE YOU MALE? (YES, NO)
13. ARE YOU 50 YEARS OF AGE OR OLDER? (YES, NO)
See survey results here.