Lindenwood University: Student Who ‘Made Up’ Assault No Longer Enrolled
March 17, 2014
ST. CHARLES, Mo. (KSDK) – School officials say the Lindenwood University student who is charged with falsely reporting a sexual assault-on campus is no longer enrolled at the university.
“We have zero tolerance for such action,” university President Jim Evans said in a news release.
Earlier this month, Joanna Newberry, 21, told St. Charles police that she had been attacked in Butler Library by a man who threatened her and then tried to pull her clothes off. These allegations prompted the university to send out an alert to over 12,000 students warning them of an attempted sexual assault.
Newberry later told the St. Charles Police Department in a follow-up interview that she made the story up. She did not give a reason why.
She has been charged with filing a false police report, and faces up to six months in jail and a $500 fine. Newberry’s arraignment is scheduled for April 28.