Police: Woman shot, killed ex-boyfriend in random sighting
Suspect arrested after pursuit, crash on Westside

Mar 11 2013

A woman who police said shot and killed a man outside a Westside post office Sunday afternoon was the victim’s ex-girlfriend, according to the Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office.

Investigators said 22-year-old Arianne Myles just so happened to see her ex-boyfriend, 23-year-old Harold Davis Jr., while she was driving by. Police said she parked her car behind his, got a gun from the back seat and started firing.

Investigators said several witnesses, including the person in the car with Myles, saw her shoot Davis several times, killing him, then get back in her car and head north on Blanding Boulevard.

Retired JSO Officer Mark Shinholser was across the street and heard the shots. He saw Myles get in the car, and started following her, police said.

He called 911, alerting police to where she was, and officers started following her.

A person in the car with Myles told investigators they didn’t know Myles was going to shoot Davis, police said. That person stayed behind after Myles left, police said.

“Apparently they were traveling, and I guess as bad luck would have it, she looked over and saw his vehicle at the post office, turned in there,” JSO Lt. Rob Schoonover said. “Like I said, the witness said, ‘I had no idea she even had a gun in the car.”

Officers pursued Myles until she caused a crash at the intersection of Timuquana Road and Seaboard Avenue — about a mile from the shooting scene, police said. They said she struck a car carrying a woman with children in her car — before she was taken into custody.

Myles remained in a hospital Monday with a broken arm from the crash. She is charged with murder and will be booked into the Duval County jail when released from the hospital.

“This is not right. Kids are not supposed to die before their parents die,” Harold Davis Sr. said.

In less than 24 hours, Davis said he went from waiting for his son to come home to planning his funeral.

“My son knew what I wanted when I died. We talked about it in great length,” Davis said. “He knew exactly what to do. Now I’m burying my son. It ain’t right.”

Police said they have no clear motive right now, but they said the couple had been broken up for a few months. Investigators are still waiting to talk with Myles, but they don’t believe this shooting was planned.

“I want to know why why did she do this,” Davis Jr.’s mother, Lola Davis, said. “Why would she take a kid, my child? Why would you take my child away?”

Davis’ family said the couple’s breakup was hard for Myles to accept, and she harassed Davis, even confronting him at local gas station.

They said that about four months ago, she even went to their home and sat in the parking lot for hours, then banged on doors and windows.

Recently though, the Davises said Myles stopped making contact. They believed she’d moved on, as Davis had with Bobbie Jean Durham, his fiance.

“I’ve been with him every single day,” Durham said. “I’m used to him being in the bed every night and waking up with him every morning. The day before he died, he asked me to marry him, and I said yes.”

Although the family mourns the loss of one man, they say they are grateful for the courageousness of another — Shinholser.

He said he was driving to the post office when he witnessed the shooting. And he said he decided to follow her for one reason. “Not letting them get away, because it was obvious the subject was no longer with us and I did not want that person to get away with it,” Shinholser said.

“He didn’t have to do any of that,” Davis Sr. said. “I can’t thank him enough for it. I just wish somebody had stopped her before she shot my son.”

Source: 4jax