Message From Acting Director Hanson
After two years of dedicated service as Director of OVW, the Honorable Susan B. Carbon is returning home to New Hampshire to spend more time with her family. It has been a privilege to work with a leader whose unwavering commitment to ending violence against women has left a lasting impact on the work of OVW. All of us at OVW wish her the very best.
After almost a year as Principal Deputy Director, I am honored to be named the Acting Director of OVW. As we move forward, we will remain fully committed to OVW’s current priorities, which have the full support of the United States Department of Justice and the Office of the President of the United States. Some of our key priorities include:
1. Sustaining our financial commitments to prevent and respond to domestic violence, sexual assault, dating violence, and stalking, even during these tough economic times;
2. Expanding support for sexual assault victims by increasing victim support services and enhancing the criminal justice system’s response to sexual assault, including the arrest and prosecution of perpetrators;
3. Educating communities about the realities of rape and its impact on victims, families, and society;
4. Reducing domestic violence-related homicide;
5. Ensuring that underserved populations are provided with culturally-appropriate services; and
6. Encouraging Congress to reauthorize the Violence Against Women Act.
At OVW, we are committed to being responsive and transparent to our grantees and the communities we serve. By strengthening our relationships with our partners and working collaboratively on innovative programs, we aim to ensure that more victims of domestic violence, dating violence, stalking, and sexual assault receive the justice and healing they deserve.
I am excited to work with each you and look forward to our continued partnership.